PTF: Parent-Teacher Fellowship
3rd Tuesday of Each Month @ 4pm
What is the PTF?
According to the Constitution and Bylaws of the Parent-Teacher Fellowship, the purpose of the PTF is to provide positive communication and support to parents, teachers, and students of Gardena Valley Christian School; to seek Divine guidance; and to promote projects to aid in the purchase of equipment and materials that will enhance the education of the students of G.V.C.S.
The authority of this organization is derived from the Gardena Valley Christian School Constitution, Article V. The volunteer service of the PTF is accomplished by fundraisers at the direction of the Executive Board of PTF, and committees and volunteer assignments at the direction of the school administration.
How can I get involved?
There are many areas where G.V.C.S. parents volunteer. To serve in any of these capacities, simply sign the attached PTF Volunteer Form, return it to the school office, and you will be notified about availability, meetings and events.
The following opportunities to serve exist currently:
- The PTF Board is made up of volunteer parents plus the teacher representative and the principal. The Board meets monthly and all parents are welcome to attend. Duties include organizing the room parents, teacher appreciation week, end of the year all school event, planning and executing two school wide fundraisers, appropriating funds with administrative approval for projects and purchases. Donated time involved is approximately three to five hours per month. The Executive Board (officers) is selected by the board itself, with input from the administration and approved by the school board (as per the constitution), from among the dedicated and involved parents who have served on the previous year’s board. Donated time involved is approximately six to ten hours per month.
- Room Parents are those who volunteer to help in the classroom with parties, special class projects and events, and any help that the teacher may need. Room Parents may be invited to help with other PTF activities. Donated time is about one to three hours per month.
- Parents in Touch is a group of concerned Christian parents who meet once a week to pray together for our school, our students, and our staff. This is the most appreciated and beneficial committee at G.V.C.S. The time donated is approximately fifteen minutes to one hour per week.
- Student Activities Volunteers help to supervise, host, or judge special events such as ACSI spelling bee, speech meets, math olympics, musicals, programs, picture day, and end of the year fun day. The volunteered time is about one to three hours per event; you may choose to be involved in one or more events.
- Athletic Boosters are parents who enjoy supporting our many teams and squads of cheerleaders by coming to and cheering at the games, providing snacks for players, helping with transportation on weekend tournaments, and in other ways supporting the coaches and athletes. Volunteer time varies according to the sport and personal schedule.
- Library Parents are those who help our librarian preview new books and report their findings as to suitability for inclusion. They also help with book fairs and other duties deemed appropriate by the librarian. Time involved is negotiable.
- Grandparents’ Club is a group of grandparents who come to school at specified time periods to read with, play with, and love our children. One special project is the supervision of the Mileage Club for students, a run/walk program. Many of our students do not have opportunity to be with their grandparents often and miss out on the valuable life lessons that only our seniors can provide. Donated time will be determined on an individual basis.
You are invited to volunteer for any of these greatly appreciated positions. Simply fill out the sign up form and return to the school office. Thank you for your participation.
back to top
Left to right:
Row 1: Patricia Maxwell, Judy Pickens, Anissa Thompson, Lesa Farley, Sue Hanaoka
Row 2: Marlicia Woods, Kim Strauss, Lisa Dobson
Laura Hernandez, Deborah Burnett, Melodie Ontiveros, Dwanna Smith, Veronica Wheatley
2011-2012 PTF Board
President: Diana Sanchez
Secretary: Marlicia Woods
Treasurer: Kim Strauss
After reviewing the job/service descriptions of the parent service positions, I am interested in volunteering in one or more of the following capacities: